Friday 3 August 2012

Haberdashery.

Since my Nanny's sewing machine is having a tantrum that doesn't seem to be easing off anytime soon, I decided to invest in my own. Which is pink. Obviously.

It's lovely, and I've got so carried away with it that I can see my Mum is a bit concerned that we're going to have too many cushions very soon... but anyway, I thought I would share with you what I have been making with my lovely new machine!
I've had this Toile de Jouy fabric for a while, I think from e-bay, with the intention to make a skirt. Deciding that maybe that was a little bit too adventurous for my first creation since I studied textiles when I was 14, I made a cushion cover instead.
All the cushions covers I have made are removable, and thus washable for when I inevitably spill tea on them... I have been experimenting with fastenings. For this Toile cushion I created an envelope type closing with velcro. If I use velcro again (which I will probably avoid because it's a bit messy), I think I will salvage some interesting buttons to sew over the top where the stitching shows.

I have Toile du Jouy bedlinen in cerise from Laura Ashley and recently found another set in blue from Ikea. Whilst the colour of this Toile doesn't quite match... I don't really mind, as you'll see...

In fact, whilst I was in Ikea I bought lots of fabrics. They're really good value, especially in comparison to other places - not mentioning any names! :)
Cushion fillers are good from Ikea too! They're squidgier than the ones I bought from the internet... and cheaper!

I made this cushion for my Mum...


Lupin isn't so sure :)


These cushions are for the living room of the my new house I am moving into next month. My friend has bought a green polka dot rug from Urban Outfitters, so I hope they match!


I made this cushion for me!



The previous four cushions are made with what is actually (despite me calling the velcro one) called an envelope cushion cover. They look a lot neater than my first attempt!


Update: Now I can post this cushion... I made it for my friend Emily's 21st. You can see my Toile cushion too! And some not-so-homemade ones!
Emily's cushion closes with three ribbon bows at the top!

:)

1 comment: